If you’re an enrolled undergraduate or postgraduate student, our learning advisors can help you with any aspect of your study that’s causing concern.
If you’re at the Dunedin campus, you’re welcome to visit the Student Learning Centre in the south-west corner of the Central Library (ISB) Building to make an appointment. We also have learning advisors located at Otago University’s Christchurch and Wellington campuses.
If you’re a distance student, call or email us with your questions and we’ll find the method of communication that’s easiest for you.
We can help you to:
- clarify the focus and scope of an assignment topic, and to develop a plan to structure your ideas and information;
- improve the mechanics of your writing – sentence structure, paragraph formation, etc.;
- prepare a well-structured oral presentation or seminar, run through it with you and provide constructive feedback. We can even videotape a rehearsal of your presentation for your self-assessment.
We can also:
- act as your sounding board on study related issues;
- help you with time management and workload issues;
- suggest techniques for effective note-taking and note-making, exam revision, etc.;
- advise you of other student support services.
Q. Can you write my assignment for me?
A. No. The Student Learning Centre’s role is to provide you with the skills and guidance to complete your own assignments successfully.
Q. Can you proofread my essay?
A. No. But we do have some contacts who may be able to help you. Get in touch with us and we can suggest some people to ask.
Q. I’m not located in Dunedin, Christchurch or Wellington. Is there still someone who can help me?
A. Yes. We can provide you with advice over the phone (we have an 0800 number), by email or Skype.