The role of HEDC’s Educational Technology team is to provide technology-enhanced support for teaching, learning and research.
We can advise staff and students on how to select and use the tools that best suit their pedagogical objectives. For more specialised requirements, we also have the in-house capability to design and develop customised software, web applications and more. See our gallery for some examples.
If you have a specific development idea or project, please fill out this request form with as much detail as possible and someone from the Education Technology team will be in touch with you as soon as possible.
Some of our projects have been funded by the Committee for the Advancement of Learning and Teaching (CALT) which invites applications for grants each year. Visit the CALT website for more information.
- Unitube - a free online media sharing service offered to University of Otago students and staff
- Power-pointers (PDF, 490KB) - a guide to designing effective PowerPoint presentations
Workshops and seminars
We offer a range of workshops and seminars on technology-enhanced teaching and learning. You can register for scheduled upcoming events on the teaching workshops page.
Our areas of specialisation
- Dr Ben Daniel (team coordinator)– virtual communities, learning analytics
- Russell Butson – student use of technology, eResearch, student journals
- Gala Hesson – graphic design, data visualisation, design for social change, audio/visual production
- Swee Kin Loke – instructional design, computer simulation, game-based learning, in-class use of digital technologies
- Adon Moskal – web application development, student evaluation, user interaction design, social media analysis, technology adoption, programmed instruction/learning
- Richard Zeng – web programming, relational databases, dynamic web technologies
- Minjie Hu